[mapserver-users] Graticule and Map Frame strategies

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Dec 11 15:30:34 EST 2008

Bob,

  My thought is to have a core set of generic functions to calculate the location of the graphic primitives (points lines, polygons) given the specification parameters for a surround object.   For example to get the graphics for a graticule, call:

graphicPrimatives *SurroundCreateGraticule( polygon *mapShape, srs *mapSRS, gratSpec *MyGratSpec);

These functions would do the hard work, and be portable (C? C++?), maybe even Swig-able.

These would likely be wrapped in a application-specific function to make the results consumable to the application (Mapserver, Scribus, etc).  For MapServer, this might be a loop in a msSurroundLayerNextShape function to iterate through the graphic primatives.  Hopefully the application would know what to do with the graphics (render to the page, etc).

And we'd likely need a set of functions to populate the parameter structures (containing tick length, font size, etc).

Just some random architecture thoughts...

Brent Fraser