[mapserver-users] How to make MapServer WMS super fast?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Dec 12 10:55:17 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 05:00:49PM +0200, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any effective tricks for making MapServer to Top-Fuel class?
> We have now a typical ms4w installation on a rather good server platform
> with SCSI drives and 2 four-core processors running on Windows 2003
> server. Our images are tiled, uncompressed geotiffs with overviews,
> vector sample data set is shapefile with shptree index.  I have a
> shortened epsg file and my mapfile is extra short. Bandwith is not the
> limit. We are getting out now about 450 orthoimage pictures per minute
> (size 500 by 500 pixels) and 550 pictures from the vector layer in png24
> image format.  I consider that rather good, but we are required to reach
> 20 images per second, thus 1200 images per minute or 0.05 seconds per
> image.  I wonder if anybody has tuned MapServer that far.

To get much beyond this, I'd simply recommend cached tiles: TileCache
and GeoWebCache are both fine products that cache tiles on the fly.
TileCache supports storing to memcached, and in-memory LRU cache, which
allows you to keep limited resources for caching while serving tiles
quickly.

TileCache users have reported serving > 1200 tiles/second with TileCache
properly configured, so if your data is seldom changing, it's probably
possible to achieve a significant benefit from TileCache.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta