[MAPSERVER-USERS] Serving jpeg tiles - is there a howto?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Dec 14 09:42:31 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 02:13:16AM -0800, bibbob wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry if this question is a bit newbie-ish, but I've searched quite a bit
> for a guide on how to do this and haven't come up with anything yet.
>
> I have a pile of JPEG images which are tiles of a map.  I'd like to serve
> them as a layer in MapServer (to use them within OpenLayers, but that's
> another story).  Each image has its co-ordinates built into the filename,
> like so:

Note that with something like this, you don't need MapServer at all:
with a little bit of legwork, you can load these into OpenLayers
directly, following the instructions in something like:
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/UsingCustomTiles .

For more help on that, feel free to stop by the OpenLayers mailing list.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta