[mapserver-users] MapServer requires unnecessary SERVICE=WMS parameter in GetMap request

John Maurer maurerj at nsidc.org
Mon Dec 22 17:25:33 EST 2008

Dear MapServer users,
I recently discovered that MapServer (we are using 5.2.0) requires a
SERVICE parameter (i.e. SERVICE=WMS) in a GetMap OGC request even though
this parameter is not mentioned or required in the WMS 1.1.1 OGC
specification for GetMap requests:

http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wms

It is strange that this is so since GetFeature and GetCoverage both
require the SERVICE paramter, but for whatever reason the GetMap spec
doesn't. Kind of an inconsistency in the OGC services, but MapServer
needs to abide by it.

This cropped up when a user contacted me that our WMS services were not
working in ArcGIS 9.2 after we upgraded MapServer from 4.9 to 5.2. After
discussion with ESRI, they pointed out that MapServer was throwing an
error about a missing SERVICE parameter because they do not include this
parameter in their GetMap requests. However, the SERVICE parameter
should not be required according to the spec.

I modified our CGI to fill this parameter in by default if not provided
as a workaround, but a future release of MapServer should probably
remove the requirement for this parameter in GetMap requests. Or am I
missing something (always a possibility!)? Thanks!
Cheers,

--
John Maurer
Web/Database Applications Engineer