[mapserver-users] Tile Mapping Service with Mapserver ala Virtual Earth and Google

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Dec 24 12:13:13 EST 2008

Hi Regina,

Obe, Regina wrote:
> I recall hearing that the 5.2 Mapserver has support for Tile Mapping
> Service for easy integration with Google and Virtual Earth.
>
> Are there any examples of using this floating around aside from the RFC
>
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-43
>
>>From the RFC, I'm guessing my layers should support the VE and Google
> Earth projections or does that automatically happen if my data is
> projected? and TMS is not another layer type such as the case when
> Mapserver acts as a WMS client.

This assumes a few things:

1) that you have installed Proj4 and built mapserver to use it
2) you have added EPSG:900913 to your epsg file
3) you have set up your mapfile to have projection blocks on all layers
and probably the MAP object.

> More specifically
> I gather that this is a Mapserver living in a VE/GMap model rather than
> (VE living in a Mapserver model).  It is not the server grabbing VE
> tiles and server/overlaying and returning a single image (which hmm I
> suppose may not be legal anyway or at least not so for Google).

Yes, this is how I read it also. This allows you to define a source for
tiles that gMap or VE javaScript APIs can then pull map tiles into their
infrastructure from maps you have defined in mapserver. Not the other
way around.

-Steve W