[mapserver-users] MapServer Symbol Conversion from Polyline Points

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at umb.no
Tue Dec 30 08:09:44 EST 2008

Precise symbol placement is among the issues that are being
addressed in RFC45 (Symbology, Labeling, and Cartography
Improvements)

In RFC45, a new tag called CENTER or ORIGIN is proposed. ANCHORPOINT
is perhaps a better name for it.  This tag could be useful to have
available both with the SYMBOL and with the STYLE.

Cite from RFC45:
CENTER/ORIGIN [x y]
Defines the centre of the symbol using decimal pixels (x axis
increasing to the right, y axis increasing downwards).
* Is used for placing a point symbol on the map or on a “decorated” line
* Defines the centre of rotation if an ANGLE is specified for point symbols.
* Default value is the centre of the symbol’s bounding box.
* Applies to TYPE ellipse, vector, pixmap, truetype.

Håvard Tveite