[mapserver-users] umn map server requested url not found on this server error

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Dec 30 09:16:16 EST 2008

cemre yilmaz wrote:
> Hello everybody;
>
> I have installed ms4w on my PC succesfully. I have typed
> "http://localhost/" on my web browser and main page of map server
> opened. After I  tested if the server is working properly then I have
> create a folder called "tfc" in *C:/ms4w/apps*  and I have created a
> configuration file in the folder *c:/ms4w/httpd.d* folder called
> *httpd_tfc.conf *and I typed;
>
> Alias /tfc/ "/ms4w/apps/tfc/"
> <Directory "/ms4w/apps/tfc/">
> AllowOverride None
> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Multiviews
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> </Directory>
>

> When I typed "http://localhost/tfc/" on web browser normally  I should
> see the empty file but there is a message on the opened page that
> "server requested url not found on this server " error 404. What should
> be the reason? I don't understand what is wrong. Why server can't find
> the folder.
>
> Note: I have restarted the apache server after the configuration file.
>
> Could you please inform me about this problem it is very urgent. Thanks
> a lot.

Your steps look valid.  I don't have the answer, but if that was me I
would try the following:

- I might purposely make an error in httpd_tfc.conf (such as have
"AllowOverride None1") and open a Command window and execute
c:/ms4w/apache-restart.bat .......just to verify that an error is
reported and I am modifying the correct Apache
- I might also download another MS4W add-on package (such as the
"PHP/MapScript Sample Application") and restart apache, and see if I can
access it in the web browser
_ I would then just copy that add-on folder in /ms4w/apps/ and give the
new folder a name, and copy/rename the /ms4w/httpd.d/httpd_gmap.conf
file and restart Apache....that process should work if the other add-on
application worked in Apache.

Happy holidays to all.

--
Jeff McKenna