No subject

Fri Feb 8 15:06:04 EST 2008

version 9.2, but will in fact be enhanced.=20
 More information about ESRI's plans is available here:
=20
http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/summer05articles/managing-spatial-data.htm=
 The new format they are creating, the 'file-based geodatabase' is=20
advertised as being very similar in function to the old geodatabase, but it=
=20
is something quite different in structure. The rumours I've heard are that=
=20
it is not just a departure from an MS Access backbone, but involves semanti=
c=20
networks for storing and linking data instead of an RDBMS.=20
 Basic information about semantic networks can be found here:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_network
 In fact the file size limit ESRI mentions of MS Access may soon be moot as=
=20
MS is changing to a SQL Server engine for Access which won't have the limit=
.=20
Any limit remaining will be on ESRI's side.
 My very very small knowledge (and great ignorance) of semantic networks=20
tells me that the new format may require a lot of effort to setup from=20
scratch for a new dataset, and that at the least the old geodatabases will=
=20
still be used as an easier pathway to get data into the new format. Besides=
,=20
didnt they say coverages were dead when geodatabases came out?=20
 One of our employees is currently at an ESRI conference in San Diego, and=
=20
is trying to find out more for us about which way the 800 pound gorilla wil=
l=20
jump.
 Please respond if you are still interested in seeing development of a=20
MapServer personal geodatabase connection go ahead. If enough parties are=
=20
willing to contribute to the funding it will be cheap enough that we won't=
=20
need to be concerned about the new format.
 Cheers,
Ken Lord
BGC Engineering Inc
Vancouver BC

------=_Part_10425_33328463.1122398366596

nd a wicked farmer's tan.</div>
f developing a way for MapServer to read from ESRI personal geodatabases.<b=
r clear=3D"all"></div>
h version 9.2, but will in fact be enhanced. </div>
spatial-data.html">http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/summer05articles/managi=
ng-spatial-data.html</a></div>
rtised as being very similar in function to the old geodatabase, but it&nbs=
p;is something quite different in structure.&nbsp; The rumours I've heard&n=
bsp;are that it is not just a departure from an MS Access backbone, but inv=
olves semantic networks for storing and linking data&nbsp;instead of&nbsp;a=
n RDBMS.&nbsp;=20
kipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_network</a></div>
e moot as MS is changing to a SQL Server engine for Access which won't have=
 the limit. Any limit remaining will be on ESRI's side.</div>
s tells me that the new format may require a lot of effort to setup from sc=
ratch for a new dataset, and&nbsp;that at the least the old geodatabases wi=
ll still be used as an easier pathway to get data into the new format. Besi=
des, didnt they say&nbsp;coverages were dead when geodatabases came out?=20
and is trying to find out more for us about which way the 800 pound gorilla=
 will jump.</div>
MapServer personal&nbsp;geodatabase connection go ahead.&nbsp; If enough pa=
rties are willing to contribute to the funding&nbsp;it will be cheap enough=
 that we won't need to be concerned about the new format.

------=_Part_10425_33328463.1122398366596--