No subject

Fri Feb 8 15:06:04 EST 2008

pet at the bottom of Section 4 about gdaltindex and creating a tile index s=
hapefile.  I tried that. =20

Here's what I typed: gdaltindex u_of_ill.shp ~/Desktop/UofImapSquares/*.gif

Here's what was returned to me:
It appears no georeferencing is available for
`/home/jimbo/Desktop/UofImapSquares/A0.gif', skipping.
It appears no georeferencing is available for
`/home/jimbo/Desktop/UofImapSquares/A12.gif', skipping.
and so on.........

Ok.  Yes.  I know.  There's no georeferencing info attached.
But, how do I go about attaching georeferencing info? =20
And how do I create, edit, and view a shapefile?
And lastly, do I need a world file to determine a global position for every=
 tile?

I tried using a text editor Gedit (I figured What the Hey?) to open them an=
d nope - wasn't in UTF-8 encoding.

I did some digging Google and noticed that you can use ArcView GIS, ArcMap,=
 ArcGIS, and ArcCatalog to create, edit, and view shapefiles.

I also stumbled across posting that talked about ShapeLib created by Eduard=
o Patto Kanegae and maintained by Frank Warmerdam.

I don't have money to spend on buying some GIS program, and ShapeLib seems =
like the answer.

Could anyone help?

 - Chris

http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx=

--_ebfbbd71-40a0-4aec-a00d-4e73b9354f18_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi.&nbsp; I have a map that is broken up into a bunch of .gif tiles.&nbsp; =
I want to display them on a layer in Mapserver.&nbsp; I have working versio=
n of what I want to accomplish, but it uses one .gif (the big map pic), att=
aches the big map to the globe via a world file.&nbsp; That big map .gif ha=
d no georeferencing info attached to it.<br><br>These .gifs have no georefe=
rencing information included or attached as well.<br><br>I read Section 4 (=
and Section 9 too) on the mapserver site page: http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu=
/docs/howto/raster_data<br><br>From this I learned that I need a tile index=
 shapefile.&nbsp; I noticed the snippet at the bottom of Section 4 about gd=
altindex and creating a tile index shapefile.&nbsp; I tried that.&nbsp; <br=
g is available for<br>`/home/jimbo/Desktop/UofImapSquares/A0.gif', skipping=
.<br>It appears no georeferencing is available for<br>`/home/jimbo/Desktop/=
es.&nbsp; I know.&nbsp; There's no georeferencing info attached.<br>But, ho=
w do I go about attaching georeferencing info?&nbsp; <br>And how do I creat=
e, edit, and view a shapefile?<br>And lastly, do I need a world file to det=
ermine a global position for every tile?<br><br>I tried using a text editor=
 Gedit (I figured What the Hey?) to open them and nope - wasn't in UTF-8 en=
coding.<br><br>I did some digging Google and noticed that you can use ArcVi=
ew GIS, ArcMap, ArcGIS, and ArcCatalog to create, edit, and view shapefiles=
.<br><br>I also stumbled across posting that talked about ShapeLib created =
by Eduardo Patto Kanegae and maintained by Frank Warmerdam.<br><br>I don't =
have money to spend on buying some GIS program, and ShapeLib seems like the=
t Live.com. <a href=3D'http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx ' target=3D'_new=
'>Check it out!</a></body>

--_ebfbbd71-40a0-4aec-a00d-4e73b9354f18_--