Polygons crossing the International Dateline

Milo van der Linden mlinden at ZEELANDNET.NL
Mon Feb 4 06:03:44 EST 2008

Dave Weaver schreef:
> Is it possible for MapServer to display that crosses the International Dateline?
>
> I have created a simple shapefile, with one square polygon (4 points, close
> together, left and right points on opposite sides of the Dateline) and
> MapServer always displays it crossing the Greenwich Meridian, not the
> Dateline (i.e. one very, very wide rectangle).
>
> Do I have to split the polygon into 2, or is there an easier way to do it?
>
> Many thanks,
> Dave.

You would indeed have to split the polygon. Mapserver has an issue with
objects crossing the extends of the globe (180 degree meridian) and
cannot pan outside the square that is defined for the globe. This means
that you will get a piece of the object on the far right of the map and
another piece on the far left.