my own program

Brent Fraser bfraser at GEOANALYTIC.COM
Mon Feb 4 10:47:32 EST 2008

Vishal,

  Mapserver does a geat job of rendering GIS vectors and
imagery data as part of a web-based mapping solution, but it
doesn't do any operations related to height/elevation.

  If your application will be focused on 3d, you may want to
look at 3d-aware open source projects such as VTP (great
interactive GUI for 3d) and Grass (powerful analysis).

  However, if you already have software to do the 3d
calculations and are looking for a web-based "presentation"
application, then Mapserver (plus a client-side tool like
OpenLayers) is a good choice.

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Calgary, Alberta

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vishal Nagpal" <vishu_73ns at YAHOO.COM>
To: <MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 1:53 AM
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] my own program

As part of my familiarization with Mapserver,
I started off with working on demo available at mapserver
website(workshop).
then I also installed Cartoweb3 and tried to build an
application.
On this mailing list I came across openLayers and realised
it was a great
tool to add cartography to my page. So I shifted to
Openlayers ( Javascript).
But now I have to start building my application which
involves planning of
Wi Max network(Line Of Sight, Coverage etc) using GIS(3D)
information. This
will require some processing of data at server side.
So I just want to finalize my tools before I start building
the final
application.

Regards,
vishal