getting mapserver running (new user)

António Rodrigues agrodrigues at IPT.PT
Mon Feb 4 17:05:45 EST 2008

Dear all,
I'm a new mapserver user. I've tried to get some demos running locally on my pc (running ubuntu
7.10), but with no success. All required software is installed, the webserver (5.0) is up and running
(after installing, unpacking the demo archive, restarting apache, opening the browser and testing, I
get the "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty."), but Somehow, I haven't
been able to modify the MAP and HTML files to reflect the paths of my machine. This is probably a
really simple and basic question, but I've really spent several hours on it and I'm getting quite
frustrated.
Rather than listing all errors I got, here's a simples example: I created the following MAP file
(almost a copy from something I found on the net):

MAP
  NAME  Davos_test
  UNITS  DD
  # map units are decimal degrees
  EXTENT -180 -90 180 90
  # geographic extent in latitude / longitude coordinates
  SIZE  800 400
  # width and height of the display in pixels
  IMAGECOLOR 128 128 255
  #image background colour
  SHAPEPATH '../data'
END

Now, I think this will just create an empty frame. I saved this file as test.MAP. My question is: How
do I get this frame on my browser.
I'm not sure if the question is clear enough. I apologize if this is a too simple king of question,
but I would really appreciate some help.
Thanks,
António