UPDATE: qstring validation

Hunter, David - St. Louis Park, MN David.Hunter at FNIS.COM
Thu Feb 7 12:34:09 EST 2008

After a little more digging, I discovered that the qstring is ignored in
version 5.0 when the mode=map.  I changed everything from qstring to
myvar, and it now works as expected.  Just wanted everybody to know that
if you need to highlight features in a map based on an expression, you
need to use myvar instead of qstring (or was I the only one who didn't
know this???).

  _____

From: Hunter, David - St. Louis Park, MN
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 5:35 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: qstring validation

Since moving to mapserver 5.0 (mostly to test AGG), a layer in my map
file that has this class definition:

  CLASS

            EXPRESSION (%qstring%)

            COLOR 230 230 179

  END

The query no longer works.  If I change it to an explicit query string,
like:

            EXPRESSION ('[DISTRICT]' eq 'ALTAMONT')

The polygon is filled as expected.  In the "MapServer 4.10 to 5.0
Migration Guide", there is mention that in the case of qstring queries,
the qstring_validation_pattern layer-level metadata is required.  It
also says the absence of this setting produces a fatal error.  My maps
still work, they just do not fill in the polygon that matches the
qstring.

I cannot find any examples or documentation for the
qstring_validation_pattern setting.  Can anybody give me a pointer in
the right direction?

David S. Hunter
Lead Software Engineer
Fidelity National Geographic Solutions
division of Fidelity National Information Services
5353 Gamble Drive, Suite 201
St. Louis Park, MN 55416
Email: david.hunter at fnis.com <mailto:david.hunter at fnf.com>
Phone: 952.542.1440 ext. 256