[mapserver-users] suggestion for CMS

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 07:10:03 EST 2008

Laura Poggio wrote:
> Dear list,
> I am looking for a freeware / opensource CMS that could be used with
> mapserver and p.mapper and PHP. The features should be rather basic, no
> blog, no wiki is needed, just user management.
> In practice I would like to set up a web site with three main sections:
> 1) general section, public available
> 2) web-GIS, mapserver + p.mapper generated maps available only to
> registered users.
> 3) database query and various modifications
>
> My first idea was to use a normal CMS and put the link to the map part
> in an area accessible only to registered users. But I am not sure this
> is the best way. And in case it is a possible solution, which CMS would
> be appropriate?
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've had a mapper module in development for bitweaver for some time, and it is
working nicely as an optional package. Needs a little work on the mapserver
side to set up new maps, but lack of time has prevented any more progress.
bitweaver provides a very nice user management system, and you simply add
those packages such as wiki and blog only if you want them. A number of other
options it 'all or nothing', but bitweaver was a spin off from tikiwiki some
years ago byt those of us who wanted a more administrator friendly setup :)

http://home.lsces.co.uk/lsces/mapper/display_map.php
http://www.bitweaver.org/ ( mapper is a development module but can be
downloaded from sourceforge )

--