[MAPSERVER-USERS] leaking memory in java mapscript (was Re: thread safety)

rich.fromm nospam420 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 19:07:28 EST 2008

Note that subject has changed, previous mailing list thread is here:
http://www.nabble.com/thread-safety-to15514019.html

rich.fromm wrote:

> I am going to try inserting the maximum number of applicable delete()'s
> and
> see if that helps.

Indeed, I am leaking memory, and I think that that's likely the root of my
problems, and not threading issues.  (I'm currently having my client only
generate sequential requests.)

I am now explicitly calling delete() on every mapserver object that I
reference in any way when I'm done with it.  Yet the java process for tomcat
still grows in size, and eventually gets to its allowed max and crashes the
JVM and tomcat.  I'm not certain whether or not the rate of leaking has gone
down, I haven't collected detailed enough data to be able to determine that.

Other than calling delete() on every mapserver object as applicable, is
there
anything else that I can be doing?  I fear that there may be a real genuine
leak within mapserver, and that that might be hard to track down.

- Rich