[mapserver-users] Re: user support

Colin Wetherbee cww at denterprises.org
Wed Feb 20 15:05:12 EST 2008

Milo van der Linden wrote:
> Yesterday I was doing some translation work on the OSGeo website (I
> signed up for the dutch translation) and I noticed all the mailing
> lists that are hosted there, it had me thinking about mailing-lists
> and the value they hold. Basically, the mailinglists that are most
> active, such as the mapserver list hold a rich set of solutions,
> answers, tips, tricks and so on. But I find them hard to browse. Most
> items are not categorized and sometimes it is hard to show the trees
> in the forest. But again, a lot of the posts are extremely valuable!
> I ended up looking for software capable of importing mailman lists
> into Google Groups or into forums or into... and I came out blank.
> But this tought is still on my mind.

I just joined this list yesterday, and I still haven't really used
MapServer yet.  One of the things I find the web site lacking is
categorized documentation, so I agree with most of what's happening in
this thread.

Over on the PostgreSQL list, we've been talking about almost the exact
same thing.  Our discussions there aren't organized very well, and we've
been looking at different approaches to making it more accessible.

The idea of hosting a wiki seems to have taken hold, and they're in the
process of implementing one now.  It looks like Trac is the best
candidate for the job, with MediaWiki coming in a close second.

The thread over there is pretty long, but here it is, in case you're
interested in having a look.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-01/threads.php#01411

Colin