[mapserver-users] Re: user support

Milo van der Linden mlinden at zeelandnet.nl
Wed Feb 20 15:33:59 EST 2008

Frank Warmerdam schreef:
> Milo van der Linden wrote:
>> Next thing I was wondering about was if it was possible to rate
>> answers. And if it would be possible to easily transform answers into
>> documentation. But I haven't found a real solution yet.
>
> Milo,
>
> I think it would be very valuable if some people were willing to comb
> the mailing list for frequently asked questions and answers and turn
> some of them into FAQ entries on the plone site.
If this would be done in a divide and conquer manner, I would be
interested. It would be a good thing if one could take a seat in some
sort of board and cover a certain aspect. I would be particulary
interested in contributing to WMS and WFS sections, as well as postGIS
integration since this is the area I am trying to make my business in.
Would it be possible that in return the person maintaining a certain
area of the documentation could offer commercial support and consultancy
on his particular field of expertise? Just a taught and trying to
discover if there is business value in signing up for this. Because in
the long run, we all need to make at least enough money to live.

> I'm bad at writing FAQs because I always write FAQs for the questions
> I wish people would ask, instead of the ones they do ask.  :-(
Hahaha! You gave me a good laugh with this one! I recognize the dillema.

> But
> someone interested in spending a couple hours contributing to the
> MapServer world could review a few weeks email traffic, and pick out
> a couple common questions with good answers and digest it into FAQs
> to list at:
>
>   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/faq
I hereby offer my couple of hours. Would it be an idea to set up a group
of say 100 people and then divide the list in blocks of say a month?