[mapserver-users] temp files

Ken S. Elvehjem elvehjem at runestone.net
Wed Feb 20 23:30:33 EST 2008

Hi,

2 items-- may be interconnected???

I recently set up a WMS mapserver using MS4W.  It works better than I have any right to expect, what with it being my first real attempt; would have never gotten that far without help from the list.

During the setup phase, I was having the raster data output as PNG files.  Which looked awful.  Which is because I was used to seeing these aerial photos as 24 bit jpeg files.   (the documentation seems to indicate an 8-bit limit on png colors...?)

They would dutifully create a temporary png file in the tmp folder.

Then,  I changed my map file and my request URL to indicate jpeg files, which works great.  My observation is that my mapserver is no longer storing temporary files.

This also is good news -- because I don't have to delete them -- but I am a little worried that they are building up somewhere else -- like in the cooling fins on my cpu, or in my power supply ;>)

Seriously, can someone explain about the apparent 8-bit limit in png files (is it true, will it change, etc.) and suggest where the temp files are going?  Below is the "WEB" section of my .map file...

    WEB
          TEMPLATE "SD.html"
           IMAGEPATH "C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\tmp/"     # have verified the correct path!
           IMAGEURL "/tmp/"                                            # and it saved png tmp files to it

           METADATA
                "wms_title"           "WMS McCOOK"
                "wms_onlineresource"  "http://206.183.188.202/cgi-bin/mapserv?"
                "wms_srs"             "EPSG:26914 EPSG:26914"
   END
  END

Sincerely,

Ken