[mapserver-users] Oracle Spatial configuration

Brock Anderson banders at refractions.net
Fri Feb 22 17:20:55 EST 2008

Hi Folks,

I've just compiled Mapserver 4.10 for windows with Oracle Spatial
support against Oracle's "instant client SDK" and "instant client
basic".  That seemed to go smoothly.  I'm now trying to configure
Mapserver and my map file with an Oracle Spatial layer.  So far I
haven't successfully served up my Oracle Spatial data.

When I make a WMS getmap request for my layer I get back an XML error
message saying this:
msOracleSpatialLayerOpen(): OracleSpatial error. Cannot create OCI
Handlers. Connection failure. Check the connection string. Error:
ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified

I think my problem is with the environment variables that Mapserver and
the Oracle instant client depend on.  I've followed Oracle Spatial
"howtos" here:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/oracle_spatial_howto
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/Configure%20Oracle%20and%20UMN

Here's a snippet from my apache httpd.conf:

<Location "/cgi-bin/">
    SetEnv ORACLE_HOME "c:/oracle_sdk/instantclient_11_1"
    SetEnv TNS_ADMIN "c:/DevSuiteHome/network/admin"
    SetEnv ORACLE_SID "MY_ORACLE"
    SetEnv PATH "c:/oracle_sdk/instantclient_11_1"
</Location>

I've also defined each of those variables directly as windows
environment variables, just to be safe. Mapserver seems to pick up my
tnsnames.ora file, so TNS_ADMIN is probably getting recognized.  My
mapfile is pasted below.

Does anyone else have Oracle Spatial support working?  Can you share
with me which environment variables you use, how you set them, and what
values you set them to?

Cheers,
Brock

MAP
  EXTENT 200000 200000 2100000 2100000
  SIZE 100 100
  UNITS meters
  WEB
    METADATA
      "wms_title" "test"
      "wms_onlineresource" ""
      "wms_srs" "epsg:4269 epsg:4326 epsg:26909 epsg:42102 epsg:3005"
      "wfs_onlineresource" ""
    END #end metadata
  END #end web
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:3005"
  END #end projection
  DEBUG ON

  LAYER
    NAME 'test'
        CONNECTIONTYPE oraclespatial
        CONNECTION 'user/pass at MY_ORACLE'
        DATA 'GEOMETRY FROM MY_TABLE USING UNIQUE MAP_FEATURE_ID SRID
3005 VERSION 10g'
        CLASS
            STYLE
                COLOR 194 164 84