[mapserver-users] [scale] template substitution string invalid

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Feb 25 11:18:17 EST 2008

The [scale] is basically useless for user consumption for the reasons you mention
so I don't use it. The only reason it exists is for development use so that you, the
developer, can see what scale mapserver is computing for a given map. That helps
tune the minxscale/maxscale (denom) parameters.

Steve

>>> John Maurer <maurerj at nsidc.org> 02/25/08 8:37 AM >>>
Hi,
I read on the MapServer Web site in the "Template File Reference" page at:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/templatereference/templatereference/view

that you can use "[scale]" in your HTML template to enable MapServer to
do a template substitution for the denominator of the scale of the
currently displayed map, as in the following example:

Scale = 1:[scale]

However, the scale that is reported is obviously wrong in every case
that I've tried. As I have read elsewhere on this user list, the
fundamental problem is that using scale ratios (e.g. 1:5015) to express
the scale of digital maps is meaningless unless you can also specify or
control the resolution of the output device (screen or printer). Since
MapServer has no knowledge of the resolution of the user's screen, this
[scale] parameter is only useful for the developer who needs to set min
or max scale parameters in the map file but not useful for the end user
and is in fact misleading for the end user. Or am I missing something?
If this is correct, then the "Template File Reference" should be updated
accordingly. I also read somewhere on this user list that MapServer
assumes a default 72 dpi screen resolution, which would also be good to
mention in this "Template File Reference." Lastly, it's recommended to
display the [scale] parameter in the "Beginning MapServer" book (p. 72),
so there seems to be some confusion surrounding the use of this parameter.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers,
John Maurer

--