[mapserver-users] Advice for MapServer project

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Tue Feb 26 17:12:58 EST 2008

Christopher,

The setup of the interface as well as the data sources are all
abstracted to the point that each individual data custodian, and/or
service owner, can implement their respective dataset/service in their
own way and update it as frequently, or infrequently as they desire.

Everything in GeoMoose, including the Nav tools, are considered a tool
or service of some sort, so it's very easy to add others to the mix.
The administration of the data maintenance is also a big difference
compared to other pacakages, because once the layer/service  is
implemented via GeoMoose, it's up the layer/service providor to keep it
maintained into the future.   Since everything is a service of some
sort, these services can all be maintained and authenticated in any
manner the custodian/owner want to use.

GeoMoose is aimed at datasets that change fairly often, on the order of
hours or minutes, and is intended primarily to access this type of data
set.  OpenLayers with it's Tiled interface seems to be intended for
displaying datasets that tend to be more static in nature.  Now, either
of the two packages can can be used for each others capabilities, but
GeoMoose was built from the ground up based on a asset management type
of business need with mapping as the visual identifier.

One last item, is that GeoMoose the interface is initiaqlized from a XML
file, a MAPBOOK, so setting up business specific interfaces is very
easy.  This XML file is even something that can be automated, so that an
online method of setting up a Mapping interface could be built, and is
something that is planned for as well.

Besides, everyone throw OpenLayers out there as an Option, I'm just
offering up another.  :c)

bobb