[mapserver-users] Re: Query Regrading Map Server

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Feb 28 10:32:23 EST 2008

Kunal
  See my comments below...

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Calgary, Alberta

> U have Written that it does not allow the layer & its
objects.
> if we were having the requirement of editing the layer.is
that not
> possible.
No, it is not possible.

> Moreover i want to know that does MapServer + openGl works
for the following .
OpenGL is a LIBRARY (not an application program) for
visualization of graphic data, usually 3D data.  Mapserver
is a server application program that creates 2D data files.
It does not use OpenGL. It does not have an interactive GUI.
An example of an OpenGL application program that uses OpenGL
is ossimPlanet.  It can read raster files created by
Mapserver.

As for Mapserver:

> 1.Import & Export Maps
Mapserver can read variuos geographic data formats.

> 2.Create,Delete & Edit Layers
No.

> 3.ReProjection of Data.
Yes.

> 4.Conversion of Map from one datum & projection to Datum
wgs84 & Proejction LCC.
Mapserver can reproject and transform datums of geographic
data.

> 5.Raster to Vector conversion & vice versa
Mapserver can create raster files from vectors.  It cannot
create vectors from raster.

> 6. Set Transparency.
Yes.

> 7. Layer priority,
Yes.

> Please Suggest the requirement could be fulfliied by
Mapserver and all the
> data would be displayed on OpenGL.
You need to find an OpenGL application program that can deal
with geographic data, like ossimPlanet or VTP.

> could grass be helpful in this regard??
I don't know. You could ask on the grass users email list.