[mapserver-users] Mapserver equivalent for .NET

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Fri Feb 29 10:43:26 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 13:32 +0100, Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> I'm not aware of any compelling reason to switch to a more restrictive
> license.

Sure, the current licensing arrangement seems to be working well for
mapserver, though there are sometimes reasons to be less permissive.  I
speculated about this the other day in a different context
(http://blog.mapforge.com.au/index.php/2008/02/27/when-open-source-doesnt-add-up/) Perhaps I'm wrong.  I'd like to get others thoughts on this /without/ starting a flame war (off list if you like; It's not mapserver specific).  I realise there can be strong feelings about licensing but so long as it's open source I'm not too worried.

> However I personally don't think it's derogatory for a
> project to expose which open source libraries it depends on.

Of course this is always nice, though the choice has been left up to
downstream users/devs.  If they did give credit, perhaps it would
encourage more participation in mapserver and in the long term they'd
benefit from having a stronger foundation on which to build.  After all,
the cost of acknowledgement is about as low as you can get.

Regards,
Tim Bowden