hardware

Kim Allen walker1145 at QWEST.NET
Mon Jan 7 23:17:34 EST 2008

I have been given the chance to spec out a server for our mapserver and need
some help to take advantage of this. What I would like to do is to run
mapserver on apache using  postgresql/postgis as the database. I anticipate
using only a few shapefiles  for state /province boundaries and all of the
rest on the postgres database. On that spatial database I have a table with
1.6 million entries, another with 180,000 entries updated daily and both of
these are points, I will also have several tables with ploygons. I am using
an html template for the maps but would like to use an interface like ka-map
down the road. Currently I am using about 68 GB of disk space out of 138 GB
however after the upgrade I would like to start adding some raster images.
The peak number of hits an hour are around 200 but I know that will go up
with an increase of speed. Since we are a MS shop I am looking for something
that should be able to handle at least 3 times the number of hits per hour
running on a MS server. However I also anticipating migrating to a linux
based solution in the immediate future but for now I have to satisfy the
powers that be.

Any suggestions based upon the sketchy outline above will be appreciated.