hardware

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Tue Jan 8 13:27:54 EST 2008

rich.fromm wrote:
> But to speak out against sweeping generalizations, I wouldn't necessarily
> agree that RAID 5 is always a good idea.

Both of your "if I recalls" agree with my present-day experience.
Writing is a bit slower, and it's not possible to add a disk and enlarge
an array (on our controller or others I've known).

For mapping purposes, I don't know that either of these are particularly
major, though. Writing happens a few times, reading happens a zillion
times, so the tradeoff is quite worthwhile.

And enlarging the array isn't an issue of RAID-5, but of system planning
in general: number of drive bays, power capacity, etc.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA