AGG: "fuzzy" lines at near horizontal/vertical angles ...

rich.fromm nospam420 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 9 15:14:07 EST 2008

(not sure if I should be moving this to a different subject heading, as we're
veering a little off course here...)

tbonfort wrote:

> palette_force and quantize_force are mutually exclusive, in the sense
> that only one of them is applied (depending on which comes first in
> the mapserver code)
> * quantize_force is more flexible as it doesn't need to create a
> palette beforehand, but different colors can be seen from one map to
> another depending on the extent
> * palette_force produces more consistent results colorwise but a
> palette file has to be created beforehand. I'd recommend creating a
> palette with exactly 256 colors in it if you're looking for rendering
> speed, or with just the exact colors of your features if you're
> looking for rendering quality.
>
> On Jan 8, 2008 6:54 PM, rich.fromm <nospam420 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>     IMAGETYPE   AGG_Q
>>     OUTPUTFORMAT
>>         NAME 'AGG_Q'
>>         DRIVER AGG/PNG
>>         IMAGEMODE RGB
>>         FORMATOPTION "PALETTE_FORCE=TRUE"
>>         # for why this is needed at all:
>>         #   http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2096
>>         # this must be an absolute path (should be able to be relative to
>> the map file for mapserver 5.2)
>>         #   http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2115
>>         FORMATOPTION "PALETTE=/absolute/path/to/colors.palette"
>>         FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_FORCE=ON"
>>         FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_DITHER=OFF"
>>         FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_COLORS=256"
>>     END

I know for my purposes I want PALETTE_FORCE and PALETTE.  Just to clarify,
given that, is the only specification above that you're complaining about
(and saying is useless) is QUANTIZE_FORCE ?  Are QUANTIZE_DITHER and
QUANTIZE_COLORS not mutually exclusive with PALETTE_FORCE ?

I wish there were more concise documentation of the various FORMATOPTIONs.
I think I got the QUANTIZE_* stuff from:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/agg-rendering-specifics/view

and then the PALETTE* stuff came from some discussions on this mailing list.
But I don't recall any previous mention of mutual exclusivity.  And I'm
wondering if there are other possibly relevant options that I'm ignoring out
of ignorance.

- Rich