Data format problem - GDFOUT and SIFP

rich.fromm nospam420 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 14 14:55:07 EST 2008

meditor wrote:

> I've got some data today from Navteq, It's weird that i cannot open it
> with
> the GIS software I have, i thought i may open it with OGR/GDAL
>
> The data has the file extension: GDFOUT and SIFP

I also get data from Navteq.  I don't bother with SIF, I think you might
need Navteq software to deal with that, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's
Windows only.

I get my data from them in *.shp files, and use shp2pgsql to convert them to
*.sql files that I can import into postgresql/postgis.

Navteq unfortunately doesn't make it very obvious that their data is even
available in SHP format.  If you have access to
https://navteq.subscribenet.com/, what you want are the downloads labeled
NAVSTREETS ArcView.  That gives you an ISO.  Loopback mount it, and one of
the files it contains (most of the bits) should be a *.tar.gz file.  And if
you gunzip and untar it, you'll find a bunch of sets of files, one set for
each table, and in each set should be a *.shp file.