thematic mapping from external db

Nolte, Tim Tim.Nolte at IPCSWIRELESSINC.COM
Mon Jan 14 16:31:17 EST 2008

Ben,

I do this before doing my $oMap->draw(), that call is usually at the end
of the process and makes your final image. Here is an example of what I
use to set layer data on-the-fly.

		$layer_data = "geom FROM (";
		$layer_data .= " SELECT st.bts_nbr,";
		$layer_data .= "   sgt.geom";
		$layer_data .= " FROM site_tab st, site_geom_tab sgt";
		$layer_data .= " WHERE st.site_id =".$_GET['site_id'];
		$layer_data .= "   AND st.site_id = sgt.site_id";
		$layer_data .= " ) USING SRID 8307";

		//plot site
		$point_layer = $oMap->getLayerByName("Point");
		$site_layer = ms_newLayerObj($oMap, $point_layer);
		$site_layer->set("group", "Cell Sites");
		$site_layer->set("name", "Selected Site");
		$site_layer->set("connectiontype",MS_ORACLESPATIAL);
		$site_layer->set("connection","username/password");
		$site_layer->set("data", $layer_data);
		$site_layer->set("status",MS_ON);

I think in your case your layers are probably Shapefiles, in this case
you'd need to set the data parameters on the layer. You might need to
use an OGR connection for you Shapefile layer to do a spatial query.
I'll be honest that I haven't done Shapefile queries but mostly spatial
database queries. I'm quite certain however that you can spatially query
a Shapefile. Anyone else care to chime in?

----
Timothy J Nolte - tnolte at ilpcs.com
Associate Network Planning Engineer

iPCS Wireless, Inc.