MINSCALE/MAXSCALE - confusion on my part - or is this a Ka-Map question?

Steve Walker walker at MFGIS.COM
Fri Jan 18 20:54:54 EST 2008

Greetings,

I am a moderately capable Mapserver user, so I hope to have a modest
understanding of the basis of the following issue.....

I have been working on fine-tuning a map's cartographic display under the
Ka-Map environment which has a discrete set of available map scales.

In this particular case, I have been working on the 1:50,000 scale, whose
neighbors  are the 1:25,000 and 1:100,000 scales.    Since I'm fine-tuning
my map for this scale, I wanted to set MINSCALE and MAXSCALE values such
that a particular layer would display only at 1:50,000  - not at 1:25,000
nor at 1:100,000.

Thinking I knew what I was doing, I set a MINSCALE value of 25010 and a
MAXSCALE value of 50010.

However,  this particular layer kept displaying itself on the 1:100,000
scale map.

After much head scratching and consternation on my part, I changed the
MAXSCALE value from 50010 to 70000.

The results were as expected.  The layer did not draw at 1:100000.

To repeat,  the only change (to the best of my ??) in the mapfile was:

from:  MAXSCALE 50010
to   :  MAXSCALE 70000

in order to keep a layer from displaying at 1:100,000

Thank you for any insights.   Of course I can pass along the mapfile and
url's should anybody so desire.

-steve