Plate Carre with latitude shift

Espen Isaksen espen.isaksen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 21 04:45:13 EST 2008

Hi again!

This is what I try to do. I understand that I am now using a projected
coordinate system with 60N as my latitude of true scale.

First I create a mapfile using EPSG:4326 and output a map of a smaller
area from this mapfile. Then I take the same extent as as I use in my
geographic mapfile and put those coordinates in a textfile. Then I use
the following command to transform these coordinates to my new
projected coordinate system:

proj +proj=eqc +lat_ts=60 +lon_0=0 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 + ellips=WGS84
+datum=WGS84 +no_defs +units=m < test.txt

I get my new coordinates as my output. I then create a mapfile, now
using the projected coordinate system instead of EPSG:4326 and using
my new coordinates for my extent. Creating an output map for this
mapfile creates a map from a very different area than my former
mapfile using 4326.

Doing the same, just converting to UTM32 instead creates a map of the
same area as 4326 does. This leads me to believe that I am doing the
right thing with my mapfile.

Espen