Defining no data areas using a Shape

Dirk Jesko ml.dje at GEOCONTENT.DE
Wed Jan 30 03:21:10 EST 2008

Hello,

we setup up a mapserver project with several ECW images (approx. 60).
Since the some of the images overlap and are not completely filled with
image data, I am looking for a way to define the "no data" part of the
image. The OFFSITE option does not work due to the lossy compression
which results in a "fuzzy" collar around the image data. Is there any
way to get rid of this collar? Since we have a shape containing the
exact boundary of the imagery, I thought about using that shape to
specify the no data area.
Is this possible using mapserver? If not, is there another way to get
rid of the compression artifacts around the imagery? Since this is an
issue with all lossy compressed imagery, I think that this might be an
interesting feature not only for ecw files.
By the way, using uncompressed imagery or a lossless compression is not
an option for us, due to the amount of data.

Thanks for any help,
Dirk