[mapserver-users] libgd.a not found by configure script

John Overton jd3 at renci.org
Wed Jul 9 16:18:21 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am building mapserv from source.  But the configure script cannot find
the gd libraries even though i can confirm they are in /usr/local/lib
Here is the error display for the configure script:

configure: checking for GD 2.0.16 or higher...
checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... no
configure: checking whether GD needs libiconv...
checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... no
configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in
/usr/local.  Make sure GD 2.0.16 or higher is compiled before calling
configure. You may also get this error if you didn't specify the
appropriate location for one of GD's dependencies (freetype, libpng,
libjpeg or libiconv).

I am using GD 2.0.35, and the configure script is finding all of the GD
dependencies.
I have seen this error on a google search, but I can't find where it is
resolved.

Thanks,
JD