[mapserver-users] CGI controls - Symbol

Ben Brehmer bbrehmer at refractions.net
Fri Jul 11 19:03:01 EDT 2008

Dear All,

Just wondering if there are any known problems when trying to modify a
symbol via the URL in Mapserver 5.0.3.

I am trying to do on-the-fly symbol changes with the CGI variables as
follows:

...&map.layer[0].CLASS[0].STYLE[0]=SYMBOL+'./blue_star.gif'&...

The above produces no errors and a blank image. Seems to me as though
the symbol is simply ignored in the URL because when I assign a color
(map.layer[0].class[0].style[0]=COLOR+151+151+151) I get a whole whack
of points back. Predefining the SYMBOL in the mapfile (SYMBOL
"./blue_star.gif") also works perfectly fine.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I've tried pretty much every
combination including using using non-image symbols, playing around with
the mapfile, and pulling out my hair. Note that I am also using the DATA
CGI var to supply dynamic data content in the same URL (not sure if this
would make a difference).

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben Brehmer

The mapfile is pretty straight forward:
.
..
DATAPATTERN ".*"

LAYER
    NAME "pointlayer"
    DATA ""
    CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
    CONNECTION "host=localhost user=postgres port=5432 dbname=name
password=pass"
    CLASSITEM "point_id"
    CLASS
      NAME ""
      STYLE
      END
    END
..
.

Mapserver is compiled with the following options:
MapServer version 5.0.3 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=FASTCGI INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL
INPUT=SHAPEFILE