[mapserver-users] changing projection

boice tomlin boice at runskip.com
Tue Jul 15 18:36:32 EDT 2008

Hello,

We are using mapserver version 4.10 and in our mapfile we don't
specify a projection at the map level or in any of the layers.

Now we need to change the projection to;

North_America_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic projection

I have added the following projection information to the map file but
it does not effect our map at all.

PROJECTION
     "+proj=aea +lat_1=20 +lat_2=60 +lat_0=40 +lon_0=-96 +x_0=0 +y_0=0
+ellps=GRS80 +datum=NAD83 +units=m +no_defs"
END

I'm assuming there are some other things we need to do besides
specifying the projection in the mapfile.  Can anyone provide me the
appropriate steps?

We are using PHP Mapscript and shape file from the US census.

Should we expect to be able to change projections on the fly by
specifying the projection we want to use in the mapfile?

thank you for the information.

-boice