[mapserver-users] Compiling Issues: Ubuntu 8.04 -- libgd and gdFontCacheSetup

Matthew Pettis matthew.pettis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 19:26:37 EDT 2008

Hi All,

This still fails... below is my configuration parameter setup and the
output of configure are below... any suggestions?

thanks,
matt

=== configure parameters ===
./configure     --with-ogr=/usr \
                --with-gdal=/usr \
                --with-httpd=/usr/sbin/apache2 \
                --with-wfsclient \
                --with-wmsclient \
                --enable-debug \
                --with-curl=/usr \
                --with-proj=/usr \
                --with-threads \
                --with-tiff \
                --with-libiconv=/usr/local/lib \
                --with-jpeg \
                --with-freetype=/usr/lib/xorg/modules/fonts/ \
                --with-threads \
                --with-wcs \
                --with-xml2-config=/usr/bin/xml2-config \
                --with-gd=/usr \
                --with-php=/usr
===================

=== output of configure script ===
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for flex... no
checking for lex... no
checking for yywrap in -lfl... no
checking for yywrap in -ll... no
checking for bison... no
checking for byacc... no
checking if compiler supports -R... no
checking if compiler supports -Wl,-rpath,... yes
checking for exp in -lm... yes
checking for __gxx_personality_v0 in -lstdc++... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strlcat... no
checking for vsnprintf... yes
MapServer Version from mapserver.h: '5.0.3'
configure: checking where FreeType 2.x is installed...
        using libfreetype from -L/usr/lib/xorg/modules/fonts/ -lfreetype
configure: checking where Zlib is installed...
checking for zlibVersion in -lz... yes
        using libz from system libs (-DUSE_ZLIB).
configure: checking where PNG is installed...
checking for png_init_io in -lpng... yes
        using libpng from system libs.
configure: checking whether we should include JPEG support...
checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... yes
        using libjpeg from system libs.
configure: checking where libXpm is installed...
checking for XpmFreeXpmImage in -lXpm... yes
        using libXpm from system libs.
configure: checking where libiconv is installed...
checking for iconv_open in -lc... yes
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... yes
        using libiconv from -L -liconv
        libiconv found. Enabling internationalization (-DUSE_ICONV)
configure: checking for GD 2.0.16 or higher...
checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... no
configure: checking whether GD needs libiconv...
checking for gdFontCacheSetup in -lgd... no
configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in /usr.
Make sure GD 2.0.16 or higher is compiled before calling configure.
You may also get this error if you didn't specify the appropriate
location for one of GD's dependencies (freetype, libpng, libjpeg or
libiconv).