[mapserver-users] SCALE=AUTO applied to current view or entire layer?

John Maurer maurerj at nsidc.org
Wed Jul 23 19:59:33 EDT 2008

Dear MapServer users,
When applying the PROCESSING directive "SCALE=AUTO" to a RASTER layer in
MapServer, I was hoping this would apply a suitable contrast stretch for
the currently selected spatial extent of the layer. But it seems that
the contrast stretch is being applied to the entire layer regardless of
where I am zoomed into. This means for a file with a large dynamic range
that when zooming in to some areas, the contrast stretch is quite
horrible (e.g. mostly gray tones or mostly dark tones or mostly light
tones). My laborious workaround has been to create separate layers for
the same raster data file with separate contrast stretches ranging from
ultra-high contrast to ultra-low contrast using different
"SCALE=min,max" settings. Is there a better way?? What is needed is a
way for MapServer to apply an automatic contrast stretch to the current
map view for the selected raster layer. You can get this kind of feature
in many image processing applications (e.g. ENVI) so it would be
fantastic to have this in MapServer as well. Thanks for any help!
Cheers,
John Maurer

--
John Maurer