[mapserver-users] SCALE=AUTO applied to current view or entire layer?

John Maurer maurerj at nsidc.org
Thu Jul 24 01:22:33 EDT 2008

> I'm quite surprised at the behavior you report.  MapServer *should* be
> computing a minimum and maximum for scaling purposes based on the data
> loaded for the particular map draw request, not the layer as a whole.

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your prompt reply! And sorry for the false alarm. Your
explanation helped me understand what's going on behind the scenes in
MapServer for the SCALE=AUTO directive, and your suspicion was right
about needing smarter min/max computation. It would be nice if there was
a simple linear 2% contrast stretch available (cut off the least and
greatest 2% of values), depending on how bad that slows things down. Is
there some way to make this a request for some future version of
MapServer? Thanks again!!
Cheers,
John

--