[mapserver-users] Obtaining actual coordinates from xy position on map

Albert albertvd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 15:07:19 EDT 2008

Good day,

I am new to mapserver.

Thus far I have been able to install it on my server and load my map
into it. I have also been able to use the CGI to get a map image which
can now be used in my application. My map is in UTM with WGS84 datum.
The example I'm working with is a 6000x7667 pixel raster image with 15
meter per pixel native resolution.

In my application I need to obtain a map image from Mapserver. Ideally
this image should be returned by specifying the Center coordinate for
the area of interest. This coordinate will be provided by a GPS in
decimal degrees, but if required can also be converted to UTM for the
query. Is there a way of doing this?

I then need to be able to obtain the actual latitude/longitude
coordinate when providing the pixel x/y position. Is there a way of
doing this?

Lastly I note that when specifying the MAPSIZE parameter for the CGI
the 6000x7667 pixel image is resized to this specified size. Is there
a way of keeping the image in the 6000x7667 resolution but only
retrieving say 200x200 pixels around the area of interest?

Thank you,

Albert