[mapserver-users] Output image resolution - explanation needed

Dejan.Gambin at pula.hr Dejan.Gambin at pula.hr
Wed Jul 30 03:21:11 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am trying to download a high resolution image and print it on a paper. I
am using p.mapper and its download function that enables downloading the
map image on different resolutions.

I have turned on my raster layer (ortophoto image). I have zoomed in to an
area of interest. I have downloaded the map twice - with a resolution of
150 and 300. The image is shown i a new page/tab (firefox). I right click
on the image and save it as a png (also tried with a jpeg) file. Now, the
first file is 2150x1111 pixels, 120 dpi vertical and horizontal resolution
(right click on a file, properties, summary, what does it mean?), the
second file is 4300x2222 pixels, 120 dpi vertical and horizontal
resolution. Seems ok. The second image is "doubled" in pixel size.

Now, when I try to print this image on A4 paper, using 300dpi, the images
are the same, there is no "better quality" in second image.

I have just finshed reading the Mapserver thread on "Change image
resolution in mapfile". Several limitations are mentioned there - max.
image size supported by Mapserver, "resolution" value/tag embedded in
output format, etc. Can it be related to my problem? Or is it maybe that
software I am using to print this image doesn't "use" this extra pixels?
Or I am just missing some basic stuff I need to know :-(

thanks very much on any explanation

regards, dejan