[mapserver-users] Making mapserver into a WMS

Matthew Pettis matthew.pettis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 08:55:39 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to test ms4w as a WMS for use with OpenLayers.  Went
through the tutorial at:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server/#setup-a-mapfile-for-your-wms

I created a simple mapfile according to the specs (I think).  It is
after the '===========' delimiter.  I called it with the following
url:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\tmp\map.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

and it asked me to download the mapserv.exe application.  Not what i
expect.  I'm pretty sure everything else is in order, because when I
call:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\tmp\map.map&mode=map

I get the expected map in my browser.

Any ideas what is wrong or how I am screwing up the incantation?

Thanks,
Matt

===========
MAP

    ################
    # Map attributes
    ################
  IMAGETYPE   PNG
  EXTENT      184056.505 4809728.25 767381.245 5478975.75
  SIZE        660 495
  IMAGECOLOR  255 255 255
  FONTSET     "C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/fonts/fonts.list"

  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:26915"
  END

    ####################
    # Web settings
    ####################
  WEB
    IMAGEPATH   "C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/tmp/"
    IMAGEURL    "/tmp/"
    METADATA
        "wms_title"           "WMS Demo Server"
        "wms_onlineresource"  "http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?"
    END
  END

    ####################
    # State
    # Background shows through missing precincts to show where no
votes will be coming from
    ####################
  LAYER
    NAME              "state"
    METADATA
        "wms_title"           "state"
    END
    CONNECTIONTYPE    postgis
    CONNECTION        "user=postgres dbname=gisvote password=postgres"
    DATA              "the_geom from shp_state"
    STATUS            default
    TYPE              polygon

    CLASS
      NAME            "state"