[mapserver-users] Making mapserver into a WMS

Matthew Pettis matthew.pettis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 19:11:33 EDT 2008

Thanks Jeff and Robert,

I'll check on those add-ons.  My driving reason in turning this into a
WMS is so I can test out OpenLayers.

Thanks again for the responses,
Matt

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> Since you are using MS4W you might also want to check out the following ms4w
> add-on packages:
>
> 1) MapServer OGC Web Services Workshop
> 2) GMap75 PHP/MapScript Sample Application (the localhost page shows locally
> served WMS URLs)
>
> --jeff
>

> ---
> Jeff McKenna
> FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services
> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/
>

> On 4-Jun-08, at 8:55 AM, Matthew Pettis wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to test ms4w as a WMS for use with OpenLayers.  Went
>> through the tutorial at:
>>

>> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server/#setup-a-mapfile-for-your-wms
>>
>> I created a simple mapfile according to the specs (I think).  It is
>> after the '===========' delimiter.  I called it with the following
>> url:
>>

>> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\tmp\map.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
>>
>> and it asked me to download the mapserv.exe application.  Not what i
>> expect.  I'm pretty sure everything else is in order, because when I
>> call:
>>

>> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\tmp\map.map&mode=map
>>
>> I get the expected map in my browser.
>>
>> Any ideas what is wrong or how I am screwing up the incantation?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt
>>
>> ===========
>> MAP
>>
>>   ################
>>   # Map attributes
>>   ################
>>  IMAGETYPE   PNG
>>  EXTENT      184056.505 4809728.25 767381.245 5478975.75
>>  SIZE        660 495
>>  IMAGECOLOR  255 255 255
>>  FONTSET     "C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/fonts/fonts.list"
>>
>>  PROJECTION
>>   "init=epsg:26915"
>>  END
>>
>>   ####################
>>   # Web settings
>>   ####################
>>  WEB
>>   IMAGEPATH   "C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/tmp/"
>>   IMAGEURL    "/tmp/"
>>   METADATA
>>       "wms_title"           "WMS Demo Server"
>>       "wms_onlineresource"  "http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?"
>>   END
>>  END
>>
>>   ####################
>>   # State
>>   # Background shows through missing precincts to show where no
>> votes will be coming from
>>  LAYER
>>   NAME              "state"
>>   METADATA
>>       "wms_title"           "state"
>>   END
>>   CONNECTIONTYPE    postgis
> [...]

It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places that we are
broken that we come to repair the world.
-- Murray Waas