[mapserver-users] How can I rasterize thesymbols in a symbol file?

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jun 5 00:05:13 EDT 2008

I think that mode=legendicon is still the way to go. The CGI program can
be run at the command line just as sym2img or shp2img. There's a new
switch in 5.2 (-nh) to surpress headers mime-headers so that image
output can be redirected to an image file safely. In short, the CGI can
be run offline. There are all sorts of options then depending on what
your limitations are for such a tool (e.g. mapscript or no mapscript).
If I were to resurrect sym2img I think I would just use is as a wrapper
to the legend icon type functionality. That is, the utility would kick
out a bunch of images, 1 for each layer/class combo and perhaps an HTML
file to organize the display.

Steve

>>> "enri" <enri at 163.com> 06/04/08 10:10 PM >>>
Thank you Steve,

I remember there was a  sym2img utility, actually that's what I am
looking for, because I want to develop an off-line tool for symbol
authoring, I am wondering if  sym2img could be available once again?

enri

======= 2008-06-05 10:16:07 you wrote:=======

>There used to be a sym2img utility but it's been busted awhile. If you
have class names defined you could simply request a legend from the CGI
and look at things that way (e.g. mapserv?mode=legend&map=foo.map).

>There's another option too. I added a legendicon mode to the dev (5.2)
version of the MapServer CGI. The mode is "legendicon" and there's a new
"icon" parameter that takes a value like [layer]{:class} where layer is
a layer name and (optionally) class number (starting with 0 I think).
Here's an example:

http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv50?map=COMPASS_MAPFILE&mode=legendicon&icon=lake_dnrpy2

>You could probably easily create an HTML page full of these links and
preview things that way. The legendicon is not dependent on the presence
of a class name so it can be used on any layer/class combination.

>Steve

>Hi guys,
>
>I want to preview the symbols in a symbol file by drawing them without
drawing the whole mapfile, is that possible and how can I do that?  Is
there a utility like shp2img available?