[MAPSERVER-USERS] Arrowhead on Road to show direction

Ila ila.engg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 01:47:27 EDT 2008

About Arrowhead problem:

I am working on a GIS project & need to show directions(one way direction)
along a section of a road or highway. I need to show regularly spaced arrows
along the line segment.

Problem: Creation of arrowhead
I am creating arrowhead symbol to be derived from a TrueType font. So my
symbol file looks like:

SYMBOL
NAME "one_way_from"
TYPE truetype
FONT arial-bold
CHARACTER ">"
#FONT "Wingdings"
#CHARACTER "è"
GAP -40
END

SYMBOL
NAME "one_way_to"
TYPE truetype
FONT arial-bold
CHARACTER "<"
#FONT "Wingdings"
#CHARACTER "&#???;"
GAP -40
END

And I have created a separate Layer just to display the arrowhead on the
road, which looks like this:

LAYER
  GROUP "Basemap"
  NAME "major road direction"
  CONNECTIONTYPE databasetype
  CONNECTION connection_string
  DATA "query_to_be_executed"

  CLASSITEM "ONEWAYDIRECTION"
  TYPE Line
  STATUS ON

  CLASS
       NAME "From"
       EXPRESSION ([ONEWAYDIRECTION] = 1)
       STYLE
         SYMBOL "one_way_from"
         COLOR 0 0 0
         SIZE 6
       END
  END

   CLASS
       NAME "To"
       EXPRESSION ([ONEWAYDIRECTION] = 0)
       STYLE
         SYMBOL "one_way_to"
         COLOR 0 0 0
         SIZE 6
       END
     END

 END # Layer

Where ONEWAYDIRECTION is a column in my road named table, having 0 or 1
value.
 And the Road layer looks like this:
LAYER
  NAME "major road"
  CONNECTIONTYPE database_type
  CONNECTION "username/password"
  DATA "query_to_be_executed"
  CLASSITEM "ROADCLASS"
  LABELITEM "STREETNAME"
  TYPE Line
  STATUS ON
  CLASS
    NAME "MAJOR-ROADS"
    MAXSCALE 30000
    MINSCALE 7000
    EXPRESSION ([ROADCLASS] <= 5 )

	style

	     color 255 192 203
	     #color 246 191 0
 	     width 9
	     antialias true
     end

    style

	 color 255 192 203
	 #color 255 222 0
	 width 8
	 antialias true
   end

END # Layer

Now on executing this, I am only getting road on my screen. I am not getting
the arrows along with road. Please see where I am doing mistake & let me
know about it.