[MAPSERVER-USERS] help! agg palette quantize algorithmimperfection

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Jun 6 17:04:47 EDT 2008

I've generated palettes by rendering a large 24-bit sample image and then reducing colors using
tools like Photoshop, GIMP or ImageMagick. Then I just run gdalinfo output on the reduced color
image through a perl script to extract the palette.

#!/usr/bin/perl

$doit = 0;
while(<>) {
  if($_ =~ /Color Table/) {
    $doit = 1;
    next;
  }

  if($doit) {
    ($r,$g,$b,$a) = split /,/, substr($_,7);
    print "$r,$g,$b\n";
  }
}

Works just fine...

Steve

<paulborodaev at gmail.com> wrote:

> $? You're kidding)) Anyway, thanks for advise. Will try.
> And what about agg rgba mode (bug, invalid color interpretation (inverting?)
> or something like that)? When
> this problem will be fixed? I need it, because I want to use map
> transparency (only rgba mode) to combine with google map layer in openlayers
> rich client app.
>
> Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>>
>> Hey, that's what they pay you the BIG BUCKS for! :)
>>
>> Write a perl/bash/{your favorite} script to grab all the COLOR lines
>> from you mapfile and reformat the r g b to r,g,b in you palette file.
>>
>> I have a few hundred symbols in my symbol library, but I only use about
>> 10 of them regularly so I made sure the primary colors were also in the
>> palette file. I make the script add them so I don't have to think about
>> it.
>>
>> It sounds like a big deal, but it not that bad.
>>
>> YMMV,
>>    -Steve W
>>
>> BrainDrain wrote:
>>> Thanks, i already read about preparing palette index file & I see 2
>>> obstacles:
>>> 1) I need to monitor my map file (big size) to keep relevant my palette