[mapserver-users] VRT into a symbol definition

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 24 10:20:35 EDT 2008

SAEZ Laurent - CETE Méditerr./DI/ETER wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've tried to use VRT files into a symbol definition, but it doesn't
> work. It will be fine.
> I've to reproduce MapInfo® hatches. MapInfo® uses raster to make
> hatches. I've recovered all the raster. But I need to reproduce all
> front colors and all background colors.
> So, I've tried to make VRT files instead of generating all real raster
> files. It seems to be not possible...
> So I've had to make thousands real raster files. I've written few lines
> code to make all vrt files and I've used gdal_translate to make all real
> raster files.
> Is there a solution to use VRT file into a symbol definition ?

Laurent,

I believe the raster symbols are directly loaded by GD and so only
GD supported raster formats work - and this does not include VRT.  So,
I think your approach (to finally turn things into real raster files)
is the right one.

I would caution you that in tests a few weeks ago I found that referencing
raster symbols in a symbol library for MapServer results in them all being
loaded when the symbols are scanned and this can be fairly expensive.  In
the test situation it was adding on the order of 100ms to mapserver execution
time.  If you run into a similar problem let me know, and perhaps we can
pursue just loading the raster symbol files when they are actually used.

Best regards,