[mapserver-users] Projecting coordinates without drawing maps?

Ray Collett 3dlover at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 11:03:43 EDT 2008

Hello all,
  I need to project UTM coordinates into stateplane, but I have no need for
drawing graphical maps.  My output is to be a script that will be imported
into another application.  I have found the Geo::Proj4 for PERL, and I have
a functioning skeleton program that is properly translating coordinates, but
I'm not that familar with PERL and I'm spending 10x the time trying to do
what I want as opposed to PHP which I know very well.  I'm looking for the
same functionality in PHP, but having a hard time finding it.  I just
discovered PHP/MapScript, and I hope that it can do what I need, but so far
I have not found any samples that I can learn from. I have PHP/MapScript
installed and working, It's drawing maps and processing shp files.

Here's a sample of the PERL code that I am using:

====================================
#!/usr/bin/perl
use Geo::Proj4;
my $proj = Geo::Proj4->new(init => "epsg:2269") or die;
my($lon, $lat) = (-122.667591,  45.522973);
my @newLatLon = $proj->forward($lat, $lon);
print "x:", $newLatLon[0]," y:", $newLatLon[1],"\n";

When run, it returns: x:7646617.87276814 y:684215.14079164

Is there a way to do this in PHP?  Is MapScript the way to go, or is there
another project that I have not yet found that could do it for me?  Any
assistance is much appreciated!

-Ray