[mapserver-users] combine many georeferenced tifs in one layer

Janosch.Skrobek at trier.de Janosch.Skrobek at trier.de
Mon Mar 10 08:50:59 EDT 2008

Thanks a lot Bart and you too Till!

I had some troubles with the wildcards (*.tif) since the gdaltindex binary from gdal.org doesn't seem to support them - although it says so in the manual. I googled a bit and found fwtools which have gdaltindex implemented as well and here the wildcards work.

But just as I thought I get follow-up problems :)
1) gdaltindex puts out a warning when processing my tiffs:
Warning 1:TIFFFetNormalTag:ASCII value for tag "copyright" contains null byte in value; value incorrectly truncated during reading due to implementation limitations

But luckily that doesn't seem to influence the result. Still I would like to know what it is trying to tell me and google doesn't know :)

2) when loading the layer it takes at least 20seconds for mapserver to show it. I understand it is because of big amount of data? (50files, all in all 40MB) Is there any way to speed this up?

Thank you very much for your help!

Janosch