[MAPSERVER-USERS] Some questions to AGG and GD rendering

rich.fromm nospam420 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 18:37:23 EDT 2008

Flavio Hendry wrote:

> As far as I see, if you specify AGG, all is AGG ... Looks a lot smoother
> (if not to say fantasitc). To me AGG is slightly slower. However, as the
> image quality is far higher, images tend to get larger anyway.

I don't know all of the internal details, but the GD library is still used
for some things even if you select the AGG renderer.

I will also agree that AGG looks much better.  You get auto aliasing by
default on everything, not just text labels (which I think may be all that
GD gave you, but I could be wrong).

I have read comments that AGG is somewhat slower, but I don't have any data
myself.  I can get the performance that I need with AGG, so given its
superior output, that's what I go with.

- Rich