[MAPSERVER-USERS] GetCapabilities error + bip format

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Tue Mar 11 09:29:22 EDT 2008

Here's what the example at
http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/capabilities_1_1_1.xml states:

 [
 <!-- Vendor-specific elements are defined here if needed. -->
 <!-- If not needed, just leave this EMPTY declaration.  Do not
  delete the declaration entirely. -->
 <!ELEMENT VendorSpecificCapabilities EMPTY>
 ]>  <!-- end of DOCTYPE declaration -->

I believe this is because the existence of the
VendorSpecificCapabilities element itself is defined in
http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/WMS_MS_Capabilities.dtd, but no
child elements are defined.  Child elements are left to the implementing
server to define within the Capabilities XML within the <!ELEMENT>
declaration.

So essentially this is a placeholder by the OGC, defined in the days
where DTDs were primarily used.  These days we see this by way of
extensions, given that using XML Schema allows for this type of
extensibility.

..Tom