[mapserver-users] MapServer 4.8.3: MapScript setProjection

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Mar 11 10:44:33 EDT 2008

Rob wrote:

> I've a java app that modifies the JNI setProjection object, using
> 'init=epsg:27700' as its argument.
>
> This seems to take approx 200ms for every layer that I add to my request
> (rendered or not), which can drastically increase the time taken to draw
> a map (my standard request includes 18 layers).

This long time looking up EPSG projection codes is a known issue and
I'll try to fix it for the 5.2 release.

In the meantime, an alternative to significantly reduce the lookup time
is to move the definitions that you use the most often (e.g. 27700 in
this case) to the top of PROJ4's "epsg" file.

If you can afford to use a native PROJ4 definition then that will be
even faster.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette